1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Visitor, welcome to GTArena. Glad you are here, now why don't you sign up and join the fantastic, clean and competitive club racing. You can read more HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Why don't you check out GTA club Listings and look for a club to join GTA Clubs
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Why not go and check out the GTArena Club Forums ! GBRC Forum for you guys based in Europe, or ALV Forum for those of you based in North America
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Why not check out the latest GTA CLub News and Gossip ALV News or GBRC Newsl
    Dismiss Notice
  6. You can check out all GTA Casual and Official events rights here..GTA Events
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Official events for GT Arena Club GBRC are posted here. Events span a 16 week season. If you find events all closed, you are viewing during off season. Stay tuned and new evetns will be posted before the new season starts.
    Dismiss Notice

[Dec 1, 2019] GBRC Carrera Cup 2019 (GBRC-Fido-996)

Discussion in 'GBRC Current Season Official Events' started by Fido996, Oct 16, 2019.

You can not signup for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
GBRC Carrera Cup 2019
GBRC-Fido-996
Signups: 0
Posted By : Fido996
Start: Dec 1, 2019 08:00 PM
End: Dec 1, 2019 10:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +00:00 GMT
  1. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

Sorry Nigel, meant to reply earlier, I’ll give it go hosting. See how it goes.

2. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Welcome back Steve hope you had a brilliant time.

The settings that have emerged seem to settle the car down.... well sort of anyway:D... and I suspect the pad users found it lively

The thing that caused problems last night was the damage as more than one occasion there were minor taps that you thought nothing of really but could totally change the drivability of the car that often meant going in the pits to repair but in reality meant it would be easy to think its not worth going out back on track and the last thing we want is for drivers to give up. On one race due to the false start more than one driver got hit from the rear and the cars that were hit from behind had misfires etc and were hardly drivable we believe if that were to happen at the start of any race that driver would be so disheartened and may well just throw the towel in which wouldnt make a close racing series.

Non of the above is a criticism Steve but just giving feedback from last night as you asked on what everybody thoughts were, with a track full of cars so please please don't take it the wrong way.......cheers Steve just trying to help.

Bye the way are you hosting the room or if I can help I would be willing to do so.

trevonick likes this.
  3. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Just seen your reply cheers Steve

4. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

I'm going to try really hard to join you for a short time tonight Steve I'll take the Mrs out for lunch that should give me brownie points for a Friday night:p

5. Robabt111

Club GBRC

Enjoying the challenge Steve, it requires some thoughtful driving and IMHO the damage and false start thing make it more realistic giving us a proper sense of what RL racing can be like but without the hefty repair bill. Hope to be on tonight.

6. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

I completely get where you’re coming from with regards to the heavy damage. I’ve tested it whilst racing against N800 cars in arcade and it’s difficult. But it also makes you start to plan moves a lot earlier.

I’d like to keep it in along with the false start check, if they don’t work then they won’t go into any other series.

We all want close racing but I think we want it to be as realistic as possible as well. For me, these two elements of a race, will make good additions to our series events. I know it’s not for everyone, but then neither are 4WD cars or SS tyres.

cokebloke and aldy13 like this.
  7. aldy13

Club GBRC

For me personally I like the idea of heavy damage and false start check being on its keeps you on your toes, but as many of us found out last night its lets say quite tricky to drive at Suzuka lol and my biggest fear is making a small mistake which lets be honest I am prone to making especially early on in races and taking someone out and ruining their race on the first lap.

8. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Glad you understand Steve and please I don't want to sound like the lone person saying this I was only saying what in general was being voiced last night and again in no way is it a criticism and we all appreciate anybody taking the time to set up a series, I think its great for anybody to come up with different ideas its the only way of moving forward.

I totally agree it does make it more realistic and well worth trying its great to have a challenge and we all want everybody to enjoy it which I'm sure we will....

Cheers Steve

trevonick likes this.
  9. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

What I would highly recommend with this car is to keep the standard sized wheels on. The +1 & +2 rims don't really help with the lateral grip.

trevonick likes this.
  10. I think that after the Mazda and the close racing it produced, the 911 is a big adjustment in style and attitude :), moves, as Steve said, will need careful planning and execution, nudges that were nothing in the Mazda, can leave both parties with damage, I think fuel will come into play a bit, especially if you have damage, I would urge people to keep going whatever happens, I think anything could happen to anyone at anytime :).

Fido996 and cokebloke like this.
  11. carlos77744

Club GBRC Senior Member

Had a quick go 2 races my biggest issue with damage was it seems to penalise the incocent as I got side swiped car totally undrivible pitting costs a lot of time so race over no point to carrying on the same would have happened in the race last Sunday as I got side swiped yes all for better thinking on the overtaking but this may be painful on the other hand it's Steve series so we will have to go flow

cokebloke likes this.
  12. RacingRoman23R

ALV Club Admin Club ALV

Doing the Porsche Enduro tonight. I will report and let you know the results

13. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

I understand what you're saying Carl, I've tested the damage thoroughly. To make the car undriveable would need a fairly major impact which would need a visit to the pits. Minor damage you can get away with but at a slightly reduced performance. There is no engine damage through hard driving ( thrashing the nuts out of it!).

For me it wasn't about penalising people, it's about trying to make it as realistic as possible with what the game has to offer. It'll be interesting to see if peoples attitudes change as a result of racing with it.

Zebaldus and cokebloke like this.
  14. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

The thing we've got to realise is that the Mazdas are made for racing with their harder settings and downforce. This 911 is basically a road car thats been tweaked and has very little downforce. The braking distances are bigger because the car is a lot heavier the Mazda. This in turn affects the turning ability. Having a lower front end helps with this but go too far and this rapidly turns into oversteer which isn't good with all that weight at the back. At the moment I'm getting better times than any of the Gr.4 cars, but I've had to change the way I drive. Being really smooth will pay huge dividends with this car. As soon as you try to force it, the times drop off.

trevonick and cokebloke like this.
  15. RacingRoman23R

ALV Club Admin Club ALV

I'm going to post this here because it is Carrera cup related (although it's the newer one)

So I jumped in late last night Eastern Time to finally do a race with the well established group SNAIL for their GT3 Cup Enduro at Le Mans, one of my favorite tracks all time. Being a former Le Mans Legend in the GBRC and the only one representing the Grumpy I was keen to make a good impression. We had tire allocations of Soft, Medium and Hard Compounds. A little testing beforehand showed me that the Softs would last 3 laps, The Mediums around 4 and the Hards around 5.

So into qualifying I knew the softs were only marginal than the mediums but if I can nurse around the tires on the out lap keeping them fresh I knew I had a shot at pole. I was keen to get pole as I was unaware of how everyone races. So what better way to mitigate the risk than to start on pole. Coming out of the Ford Chicanes it was go time. I attacked the circuit while on the tighter corner exits short shifted to maximize the traction and minimize the wear. I managed to bag in a 4:00.2 which was more than enough for pole. However the guys behind were starting on the medium and hard compounds so I had to maximize this set and keep ahead.

The race start wasn't the greatest. I shifted too early and thus the car bogged in 2nd. This allowed 2nd and 4th to jump ahead and then heading towards the Dunlop bridge I was side by side with my teammate. A small love tap from my partner slotted me back to 4th struggling on cold tires.I got a good exit onto the Mulsanne straight and was 3 wide down into the first chicane. My teammate overshot his braking and this allowed me into the 2nd chicane to regain 2nd place and set out for the leader. On the 2nd lap I was able to retake the lead but managed to kill the tires at this point so the 3rd lap was just about keeping it on the island and in striking distance of the leader. I pitted to Mediums as when the tires would fall off the fuel would also be about done so I felt this was a perfect strategy.

Turned out to not be the case. The mediums lasted only 3 laps as well. Maybe I over drove them. Maybe the conditions were too hot from practice causing tire degradation. The series host Nova kept it on hards every stint and it proved to be the right strategy. On my final stint I put on the hards and went charging after him and the lead. I was in as much as 5 seconds ahead but kept making mistakes by getting the car on the dirty line 2nd was the best that was going to happen. Nova secured the win by running consistently but yours truly finished 2nd on debut, 4.5 seconds behind the lead and with the fastest lap of the race. Full coverage can be seen here.

16. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Well done Elias fantastic result you must be well pleased

RacingRoman23R likes this.
  17. RacingRoman23R

ALV Club Admin Club ALV

Yes Nigel. Was fantastic to see I had the pace. Just probably should have practiced more to figure out the tires.

Lads I'm afraid I will be a DNS tonight. Won't be able to make it back in time. I shall be there next week if there is room.

Thanks,
    -Elias

18. Jjkingkongjj

Club GBRC

I probably won't be on tonight, have had a really bad headache all day which is gradually going and I don't want to risk bringing it back.

Fido996 likes this.
  19. Lunchbox

Lunchbox GBRC Founder
    Aministrator Club GBRC

Thanks for letting us know chaps,

Fido996 likes this.
  20. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Sorry to hear that Steve hope you feel better tomorrow.....Thanks for letting us know

Fido996 likes this.