1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Visitor, welcome to GTArena. Glad you are here, now why don't you sign up and join the fantastic, clean and competitive club racing. You can read more HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Why don't you check out GTA club Listings and look for a club to join GTA Clubs
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Why not go and check out the GTArena Club Forums ! GBRC Forum for you guys based in Europe, or ALV Forum for those of you based in North America
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Why not check out the latest GTA CLub News and Gossip ALV News or GBRC Newsl
    Dismiss Notice
  6. You can check out all GTA Casual and Official events rights here..GTA Events
    Dismiss Notice

Driver Rating

Discussion in 'GBRC Chit Chat' started by Fido996, May 24, 2019.

1. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

Scenga777 1
    Fido996 2
    Lunchbox147 3=
    Cokebloke 3=
    Zebaldus 5
    Robabt11 6
    Maridian 7
    NumbNuts70 8=
    Aldy13 8=
    Bnic11 8=
    AMG-PR3D 11
    Motor_Head51 12
    RacingRoman23R 13
    ejd_eire 14
    Superbricklayer1 15
    Gidge5 16

This is the beginning (hopefully) of our Driver Rating system.

I would like to eventually use this as a handicap system for any series we care to use it in. Whether this will be points or a weight handicap, I've not entirely decided. I may well go with weight. So, for example, we have 9 drivers signed up. We take the lowest DR as zero and then add 10kg to each drivers car as we go up the list. I know this falls flat on its face should the likes of Nuts or RacingRoman return but this will run until the end of December when we will then crown the overall Champion.

The ratings are made up of your finishing position in each series you compete in, added together.

This is just an idea to bring the racing and the each series closer together competitively.

Would like to hear any thoughts gents.:)

Zebaldus, cokebloke and Robabt111 like this.
  2. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Brilliant idea Steve and thank you for putting the time and effort in.

I feel If our friends who just join in now and again join and have no weight penalty it doesn't really matter as overall they won't interfere with the overall ratings of those that race regularly/every week, thats my thoughts.

Robabt111 and Fido996 like this.
  3. Zebaldus

Club GBRC Senior Member

Lets test that.... why not :)

cokebloke, Robabt111 and Fido996 like this.
  4. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

If everyone’s up for giving this a go then we’ll try this for the next series. Once we know who’s in for the first race before qualifying then I’ll give out who has to add what weight. We then stick with those additions until the end of that series regardless of who’s in or out for the remaining races. I’m hoping that the 10kg gap between each driver goes some way to levelling the field. It would be great to see some different names at the sharp end.

It’s hard to test this on my own so please bear with it for my next event. Just have to choose between a tuning event using the ‘09 Porsche911 or a McLaren GT-3 with no tune. Don’t dismiss the 911 on past experience, it’s quite a stable car, it just takes a bit more space to get it stopped!

cokebloke, Zebaldus and Robabt111 like this.
  5. cokebloke

Club GBRC Senior Member

Would a non tune event with the ballast keep it closer as tuning is great for some but not for others just a thought

Zebaldus likes this.
  6. Lunchbox

Lunchbox GBRC Founder
    Aministrator Club GBRC

Hi Steve out of interest how do you calculate the DR

7. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

It been taken from the finishing results of the last two series. First gets 16 points, seconds gets 15 and so on down the order. I’ve done it this way just in case we become really popular and have a full lobby! This will be updated after each series so people will move up and down the order.(Hopefully.)

The results go into an overall table I’ve put together. Its just your finishing position converted to points, but each series then goes to your overall position at the end of the year.It’s not as in depth as yours where I think you were collating finishing positions from each race.

I decided on the weight penalty partly to try and bring other drivers to the sharp end. I know we all enjoy the racing but we all race to get that win. Hopefully this will go some way towards mixing the order up a little more.

Then, if a couple of the not so regular fast guys dip in and out, even if they run away with a series, they will still have a weight penalty when they race again. I think at the last count, so far this year, we’ve have something like 19/20 different drivers take part. Just in the two series that I’ve recorded. Now we get probably half that start any new series, 10 if we’re lucky, but they still score points which’ll go towards their cumulative total for the year and it doesn’t really affect the regulars. Unless, of course, they start racing regularly themselves.

8. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

I’m not fussed either way, the McLaren is quite an easy drive and the Porsche needs a little more attention. There’s no braking to the apex with it and it will bite on the exit if you ask too much, but with a little fettling it becomes a lot friendlier. I tried to tame it a little through added weight and dialling down the power but it’ll still leave a Gr.4 car behind on the straights. It just loses out on the corners.

9. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

I’m not fussed either way, the McLaren is quite an easy drive and the Porsche needs a little more attention. There’s no braking to the apex with it and it will bite on the exit if you ask too much, but with a little fettling it becomes a lot friendlier. I tried to tame it a little through added weight and dialling down the power but it’ll still leave a Gr.4 car behind on the straights. It just loses out on the corners.

10. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

Here's the updated driver ratings

Scenga777 1
    Fido996 2
    Cokebloke 3
    Lunchbox147 4
    Robabt11 5
    Zebaldus 6
    Maridian 7
    NumbNuts70 8=
    Aldy13 8=
    Bnic11 8=
    AMG-PR3D 11
    Motor_Head51 12
    RacingRoman23R 13
    ejd_eire 14
    Superbricklayer1 15
    Gidge5 16

No change for the top 2 but both Nigel and Rob move up one place.

Zebaldus, Robabt111 and Lunchbox like this.
  11. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

Here's the updated driver standings after The Cooper'65 Series.

Scenga777 1
    Cokebloke
    Fido996 3
    Lunchbox147 4
    Robabt11 5=
    Zebaldus 5=
    Maridian 7
    Aldy13 8
    NumbNuts70 9=
    Bnic11 9=
    RacingRoman23R 11
    DarBray 12

AMG-PR3D 13
    Motor_Head51 14
    ejd_eire 15
    Superbricklayer1 16
    Gidge5 17

This last series has shaken up the standings somewhat. Carl now has a 1 point lead over Nigel who jumps 2 spots into second and I slip down to 3rd, 5 points adrift with Jason dropping to fourth, 8 points back from the leader. Rob, Paul and Mark are in a right old scrap with 2 points separating them.

With 3-4 possible Series to run until the end of the year it's all still to play for, and if Tomos continues to join us, I think he'll have a huge influence over the final out come.

cokebloke, Robabt111 and Lunchbox like this.
  12. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

Her we go then pop pickers with the latest chart!

Scenga777 1
    Cokebloke
    Fido996 3
    Lunchbox147 4
    Robabt11 5
    Zebaldus 6
    Maridian 7
    Aldy13 8
    RacingRoman23 9
    DarBray 10
    NumbNuts70 11=
    Bnic11 11=
    Trevonick 13

AMG-PR3D 14
    Motor_Head51 15
    Jimantonic 16

ejd_eire 17
    Superbricklayer1 18
    Gidge5 19

Things are a lot tighter at the top with only 3 points separating 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Rob is 1point ahead of Paul and the 2 highest climbers are Elias & Tomos. We have a new entry at13 with Trevor.

So, with 2 series left, a King of The Ring mini series and the La Sartre event to go before the end of the year its still very much up for grabs.

#12 Fido996, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  13. RacingRoman23R

ALV Club Admin Club ALV

Did someone say La Sarthe again? :D;)

cokebloke and Robabt111 like this.
  14. Robabt111

Club GBRC

Yes Elias i am hoping to run a one off one hour event at La Sarthe in the Gr2's on one of the free Sunday's in December, after Steve's Porsche series and the King of the Ring events. Still to decide how to arrange qualifying either base it on Championship standings or the previous race/series results or run qualifying as a club TT .

I hope to post more details asap.

cokebloke likes this.